Back to Candidate Support

Living and working in Australia

Working in Australia can be exciting, challenging and a wonderful opportunity to combine lifestyle with career choice

We provide our local and international candidates with every possible support at each step of the way. Having worked in Australia and overseas, our experienced consultants have the specialist knowledge and work closely with you to help you develop your career and lifestyle.

Opportunities are available for doctors of all grades and specialties in metropolitan and rural locations. So whether you wish to experience the coastal towns of Queensland, just a stone’s throw from the Great Barrier Reef, nestled amongst a vast array of vineyards and rolling scenery, or the metropolitan buzz of urban living in all the major cities including Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne, Canberra, and Perth, we have the role for you.


By joining Global Medics Australia, you will enjoy the following benefits for Permanent Recruitment:

•    Specialist service – you will have a dedicated consultant backed by a dedicated recruitment team of experienced Healthcare Recruitment Professionals to support you
•    Positions available in a variety of locations across Australia 
•    Roles available from RMO to Consultant level and beyond!
•    Dedicated Compliance Consultant to assist you with paperwork.
•    Dedicated Regulatory and Immigration Consultant to help you navigate to Australia system ensuring your applications are correct the first time! 
•    Opportunity to earn up to $1,000 Refer a friend bonus
•    Assess to our extensive locum roles once eligible



Professional registration

To be eligible to work in Australia a medical professional must: 

  • Hold a Bachelor qualification in a relevant area of study
  • Hold registration and/or membership with the appropriate regulatory body. The main regulatory authority for most health professionals in Australia is the Australian Health Practitioner Regulatory Authority (AHPRA). Full registration or in principle approval for registration is required.
  • Have a current work visa or be eligible for a visa with the Department of Home Affairs

Your Global Medics consultant will be able to guide you through the necessary steps required to relocate and commence work.

Understandably the process and paperwork can look rather daunting at first, but Global Medics have a dedicated Compliance and Administration team in Australia and the UK to assist you.

Our team of specialised recruitment consultants can advise you on the best opportunities, hospitals and locations to enable a smooth pathway to achieve your dream of living and working in Australia. Many of the team have made the move themselves and will appreciate any questions you may have. Please contact us with any queries.

Visa requirements

The Australian Federal Government, through the Department of Home Affairs provides information relating to Immigration and Citizenship -

There are several visa options depending your situation, experience, qualifications, and how long you are looking to stay in Australia. The following are the most common visas to allow overseas professionals to work in Australian hospitals or medical organisations. It is important to check your eligibility requirements to see what options are best.


Australian tax is complex and, at first glance may seem high. It should be pointed out there are significant deductions available for most professionals, so taxation rates should be viewed with this in mind. A good accountant is essential around tax time. The end of tax year is 30 June.

For further advice, please refer to the Australian Taxation Office.

Are you an Australian resident for tax purposes or a working holiday maker?

Generally, you are considered to be an Australian resident for tax purposes if you:

  • have always lived in Australia or you have come to Australia and now live here permanently
  • are an overseas student doing a course that takes more than six months to complete
  • migrate to Australia and intend to reside here permanently.

If you go overseas temporarily and don’t set up a permanent home in another country, you may continue to be treated as an Australian resident for tax purposes.

If you are in Australia on a working holiday visa (subclass 417) or a work and holiday visa (subclass 462) you need to declare that you are a working holiday maker when completing Tax File Declaration Forms for your employer. Special rates of tax apply for working holiday makers.

Important travel updates

For updates and information on travel in Australia please visit the government websites:

To discover more about working in Australia download our