Back to Candidate Faqs

Candidate frequently asked questions


Here are some frequently asked questions when considering PERMANENT work opportunities

Who will pay for my travel and accommodation?

All reimbursement/payment of travel and accommodation expenses are negotiated on a case by case basis by Global Medics directly with the prospective employer.

How will you contact me about suitable positions?

All candidates are contacted immediately upon receipt of their registration by either email and/or telephone. Following our initial contact, you are then emailed regularly regarding all suitable positions.

Will I be charged for using your recruitment services?

No, using Global Medics services is free of charge to all candidates.

How long can I work in Australia or New Zealand?

Most medical practitioners travel to Australia or New Zealand on a temporary visa which enables them to live and work for up to four years through on-going sponsorship. We are also able to assist candidates interested in longer contracts or permanent residency.

How long is a typical employment contract?

Overseas trained doctors are usually offered contracts of a minimum of six months, though most contracts are for 12 months. As visa and medical registration processes are extensive for both the candidate and employer, contracts less than six months are unusual. It is also not uncommon for candidates to extend their initial contracted period.

What’s involved in applying?

For Global Medics to be of assistance, we would ask that you send us your details and CV by registering with us online. This is the best way to give us the information we need to evaluate the level of assistance we are likely to be able to provide. Registration is quick and easy.

Do I need to do an English test?

If you are from a country whose native or first language (as opposed to official) is not English, then you will be required to provide evidence of English language proficiency. Policies are available for Australia and New Zealand.

Will accommodation be supplied?

This very much depends on your chosen location and the level at which you are appointed. In general, you can expect the following:

The level of accommodation and assistance provided depends on the facility and the category of practitioner you are. Some facilities pay doctors an accommodation allowance regardless of category but this mostly applies just to consultant specialists. Almost all our clients will provide some form of temporary accommodation when you first arrive. This can include staff quarters at a hospital, furnished apartments or hotels/motels. Of course, the client will be happy to assist you and your family in settling in Australia and New Zealand and is generally very helpful in this respect.

Who pays for the medical registration and visa application fees?

As these are related to your ability to perform your job, they are usually considered your responsibility. Some employers are happy to reimburse these expenses should you complete your contract in full.

It is important to note that these fees can also be considered as eligible tax deductions.

Can I extend my visa?

Yes many of the doctors we place are offered extensions to their employment contracts or are offered positions at other hospitals/facilities in their chosen destination. No matter where you next move may be we are here to ensure that the process is as painless as possible.

However, you will need to re-apply for a temporary residency visa as potentially registration for every assignment is unique. To find out the exact details, please contact us so that we can discuss this with you.

To view frequently asked questions for LOCUM work opportunities