Grade:- Locum Consultant Haematologist
Duration:- 3-6 months (with a view to be extended ongoing or opportunity to join substantively if desired)
Shift times/pattern:- Monday - Friday 08:00-16:00 with 1:8 on-call
Job description:- full job description can be provided for interested applicants.
The combined team comprises nine consultant haematologists, one specialty doctor, one SpR and a group of Specialist Nurses in Haematology, Anticoagulation, Transfusion and Palliative Care, across the trust sites.
Successful applicants will be contributing to a cross-site 1:8 joint on call rota and attending rota for level 2 patients and a weekly joint haemato-oncology MDT.
Main duties of the post
- Deliver Clinical, Educational, Managerial Services of the highest professional standard at Consultant Level to the Department
- Work with existing consultants and the multi-disciplinary team to provide a high quality well-led service for patients, including the diagnosis, investigations, treatment and management of patients in accordance with Trust policies and practices.
- Deliver Direct Clinical Care to patients, through all parts of the Department assisting clinical decision-making and sharing equally in the workload.
- The Consultant team will provide comprehensive senior clinical cover to the Department.
- Assessment of patients
- Provide consultant cover in ward rounds, multi-disciplinary team meetings, clinics, supporting the day unit, anticoagulant service and laboratory responsibilities
- Consultant cover time required, Consultants will be expected to review all potential admissions and develop rapid assessment triage strategies to ensure early investigations and disposition of patients is achieved.
- Contribute to teaching/training and undertake audit and managerial responsibilities as appropriate to experience
- Any changes will be by negotiation and will be reflected in the job plans of the team.
- Have a continuing responsibility for the care of patients in his/her charge, ensuring safe handover as appropriate.
- Engage fully with the care of patients outside the department and provide a prompt opinion on request from consultant colleagues in other specialties.
- Engage with medical, nursing, management and all relevant co-workers in the delivery of department objectives: to provide clinical leadership, improve the patient experience; ensure the highest quality clinical care.
- Actively participate in and support other staff with education, research, audit and clinical governance activities involving a multi-disciplinary workforce across the department
- Participate in the professional training of the staff in the department, both medical and non-medical, and contribute as required to teaching sessions for other hospital staff as well as undergraduate and postgraduate staff, including supervision of junior medical staff. Teaching and training will require verification of teaching certification
- Support recruitment, appraisal, development and mentoring activities to a multi-disciplinary, multi-professional team.
- Undertake any other duties appropriate for a consultant.
LEARNING, DEVELOPMENT AND RESEARCH
- The Trust encourages and supports consultants with a special interest to develop their interest, where it meets department objectives, and can be audited and reviewed, and provide learning opportunities for other staff.
- Participate in clinical audit activities of the department and hospitals, ensuring record-keeping is effective.
- Undertake research and develop special interests within the limits of clinical and service workload.
- Undertake continuing medical education internally and externally with study leave entitlement as appropriate.
SUPPORTING PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES (SPA):
The trust you will be joining is committed to ensuring that all Consultants have dedicated SPAs within their job plan which they will be expected to carry out on site/ in the workplace. Specific responsibilities will be developed on appointment and according to areas of interest, but Supporting Professional Activities (SPA's) are intended to include
- Audit, research, and local clinical governance activity
- Formal teaching and preparation (e.g. giving lectures, seminars)
- Post-graduate teaching, and training (e.g. of junior doctors, medical students)
- external teaching and education delivery (e.g. ATLS, APLS)
- Clinical management, attendance at departmental and trust meetings
- Appraisal, Job planning and rota organisation
- Service development, quality improvement work, Major incident planning
- SPA activity will be scheduled based on individual preference, and to meet the needs of the service.
Benefits of working with Global Medics:
- A dedicated Specialist Consultant who understands you and your requirements
- Market leading pay rates
- First sight of shifts across multiple NHS trusts
- Access to The Support Hub - our support service to help support your mental health and well-being and enable you to deliver outstanding care.
- Free CPD courses and career support
- Hundreds of new shifts available every day
- Long term jobs and short shifts available
- Lucrative referral scheme
- Appraisal and Revalidation Support
- 24/7/365 service, we're available when you need us
- MBBS or equivalent medical degree
- FRCPath or equivalent
- Full registration with the GMC (Candidates with GMC specialist registration would be prioritised)
- Right to work in the UK
your application has been submitted